the cinque terre

After a busy, hectic, and quite tiring time in Milan, we were glad to be heading to the Cinque Terre. But even on the way there, we were blessed by being in the train station! As we sat down for lunch against a wall (no benches left), I noticed we were right in front of Media World - a place that sells gear for cameras, phones, etc. I told Mom, and we decided to look in and see if they had a battery charger. Sure enough, they did. Problem solved! I have been successfully taking pictures for the last 5 days, and really enjoying it! And a BIG reminder - these are the candid shots that I have taken on my point and shoot so all can be satisfied before I post the ones worthy of posting. ;) The above below, by the way, is of Milan's train station.
From Milan, we made it to Vernazza - one of the five towns of Cinque Terre. I can say safely that Vernazza has been my favorite stop so far. The atmosphere of the town - the community, the people, the safety you feel (nothing like Milan!!), and beauty - is just so wonderful. We felt right at home there.

 Our wonderful host, Giuliana, made us quite comfortable in our room. Everything was clean, she was very friendly, and we had a wonderful experience with her. She also provided the best tea I've ever had! I'm not sure if we can get this in the US or not!
 One of the things we did in Vernazza was hike to the cimeterio, where we wandered through and just admired! It sounds funny to say, but it was true! Almost each of them had silk flowers and a light on the gravestones (the ones that were in a wall, like the one above). I'm sure it's very pretty at night!
 There were even large family tombs (in back).
 This is our view from our Room Grecale. Very pleasant location.
 After spending a wonderful day in Vernazza, we headed to Manarola, and took another hike there. There are so many stairs in Cinque Terre. And some are steep and narrow! But it's definitely worth the work to see the view.
 The square down below was impressive.
 A close-up of the square

 I hiked to where I thought a sanctuario was, but I don't think I found it. :) Instead, I ran across this - the rail that the locals take to get all the way up to their vineyards to work.
Some of the beautiful vineyards before sunset.

Vernazza definitely holds a special place in my heart! Someplace I would definitely visit again if I came back.

Comments

  1. Emily,
    I really like you pictures! I'm excited to see your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your camera battery situation is resolved. What a beautiful place! Now this is the kind of area we would enjoy also....the countryside is so peaceful looking. Thinking of you always and trying to imagine you so far away. This blog is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts