roma then homa

At last - 8 months and 6 days after returning from Italy, I'm finally getting around to posting my 12th and last post about our trip.

(This is a stretch for me - I really am balking at this last post. Let's hope I get through it!)

In reality, we didn't really do much of anything special in Rome. We were mainly tourists, enjoying tourist country. We saw the sights, we did the do's, and we didn't the don'ts. ;)

On one of the days, we visited the Roman Forum, and saw all the remaining evidences of that once thriving city. Picture number 1 above shows the place where Julius Caesar was cremated. I found that slightly fascinating, but I mostly wished that I could hop over the little barrier and pick up all the little coins people had thrown on the site. ;)

The lookout points were pretty fascinating (I know I already used that word. But I'll use it again just for good measure. ;) ), and really, this doesn't show the half of it! It was amazing to actually stand there and see it with my own eyes - so much better than the picture can capture.
Pictures and stories are slightly out of order here, but that's OK. Our whole trip felt a bit hectic, so maybe this is just a last hurrah to that whole fact. ;P This photo is one of my personal favorites from my whole trip. And can I just say? The Colosseum was a lot more confusing and crowded than I imagined it being. Aside from the fact that there are way too many stairs to climb to get where you want to go, you have to go around and around and around to actually find the stairs! And once you find them, and climb them, you find out there are two more levels to climb before you actually see what you want to see. Oh, the dear nature of the Romans. They loved their heights and the greatness it afforded. ;)
One of my favorite sculptures we saw. Done by the infamous Michelangelo, of course. It's surprising what magnificent sculptures and other things you'll see in what seem like out of the way churches. We didn't have to pay to see him - you just have to get to the right place!
One of the days, we walked. Such a long way. Actually on our way to find the Pantheon (which I don't recommend. I don't see why people make such a big deal about it. Positive reviews are everywhere. Yet, once I was there, I couldn't stay for more than a minute or two. It really gave me the creeps. A lot of the churches we saw were way more magnificent than the Pantheon. Don't bother. It definitely isn't worth it. At all.), we stopped in front of the Victor Emmanuel II monument. (It's quite the sight!)


Um... OK. :) We're back to earlier in our sun-shiny day. ;) This was the view from the top of the Spanish steps. Now you've seen it. Don't bother to do it. These things (aka, steps) are way overrated.

Water fountains! ♥
The Column of the Immaculate Conception ^ near the Spanish Steps
Moses and David. Isaiah and Ezekiel are on the other side. Unfortunately, we were in a rush, so I didn't get their photos.



I'm racking my brain (or whatever's up there at this time of night ;) ) for any interesting stories or tidbits about our time in Rome, and I'm just not coming up with much. I think we were just pretty much Italy-ed out by this time, and were ready to return home.

From experience, I would say to all who would kill to travel (not really ;)) - don't envy the traveler. Honestly, going to Europe isn't all it's cracked up to be. Visiting the Colosseum, existing in Venice, and traipsing in Florence (as lovely as that sounds), is not necessarily to be envied.

If I could go back and do things over again, I'd change a few things. Number one, I'd pick maybe 3 or 4 cities and stay in each of those places for 4 or 5 days. That way, you can get to know the city, and really get to enjoy it.

Next, avoid scheduled tours/tickets at all costs. If there's any way you can travel without making sure you have to be somewhere at a certain time, do it!

Three? Make sure you really want to do all the things you put on your itinerary. Read way too many reviews before you go to make sure you really do want to visit all the museums you think you do.

Fourth - don't plan too much in a day. Relax. Enjoy. Give yourself time to walk. Find your way around. Stop in at interesting looking churches. Relish that gelato.

And lastly, instead of picking all the well-known towns, sites, monuments, and museums, I'd say to go for the more tucked away things and places. Like Cinque Terre (the absolute highlight of my trip!). Most likely, you're going to get a very unique experience. Yours won't be just another one of those (non)picture-perfectly-placid guidebook travel trips. ;)

And if I had known those few things, I have a feeling our trip would've been a lot different, and could potentially have been quite a bit more enjoyable as well. But what's done is done! I now have my first overseas trip under my belt (or in my back pocket ;)), and look forward to Thailand 2016!

Oh wait - that's just rumor. ;)



Comments

  1. Wow, sorry I missed this one! I just found it. :D I love the pictures, thanks for sharing!!!Hope everything is going well in you part of the world!
    Blessings from an old friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts